Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I cried today

Today I cried at work. But it wasn't the first time. I cried last week too. Don't misunderstand. I don't normally break into tears at work if the copier doesn't work or if I can't log into my computer. And these, by the way, were not the reasons why I cried.

Last week I cried because of a testimony I heard. Today I attended a mass again. And as I observed the communion, I was brought to tears. The act is not something we practice on a regular basis in our services. It is something that is reserved for special days - Easter, the New Year and other days as designated by our ministers. And it's certainly not conducted in the same manner the Catholic church does it.

I was actually taken aback by the fact that the whole act moved me to tears. I couldn't hold them back, the whole experience was so reverent and respectfully done - it just seemed like a thing a beauty. I can't quite explain it. Like I said, it surprised me that just observing it would move me like it did.

But then why shouldn't it? In taking communion we are remembering the body and blood of Christ. Above all, we remember the sacrifice he made for us. So as I sat and watched, and reflected, I was reminded of the torture and pain he endured to save us all, and my heart wept. Not that I've never wept at the thought of it, but the odd part of it was that I was at work. I cried at work.

Before last week, I have never cried at work. I rarely cry actually. But can many people say that they cried at work? I couldn't. Have you ever cried at work in remembrance of Christ's sacrifice or out of compassion for another person?

I cried today - it was nice.

Luke 22:19-20: And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment