Thursday, January 06, 2005

It's all about LOVE

I know, that line is so cliche. And that's sad.

If you sum up the instructions God left us for this life it's simply: LOVE. At least that's what Galatians 5:14 tells us: For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

It's at the root of everything good that many of us aspire to - being a proverbial wife, a good mother, a good friend, a hospital person, a kind stranger. At the root of all of these is showing love for another person. Love meaning sacrificing something of value to us whether it be money, our personal desires (i.e. compromising), or most valuable of all to many of us, our time.

There again, the discussion about time is often tossed around. As in - how much time do you spend with your kids. I agree it's fantastic and a great blessing to just be there for your kids, giving them a strong and lasting sense of security. However, just being there can easily be abused if after a while that's all you are - just there - not giving them focused and undivided attention (i.e. - watching TV or paying bills as they jabber about whatever they sometimes jabber about). Its easy to get caught up in housework, errands, the internet, talking on the phone or TV - and feel lacking and guilty about not focusing more time on the family.

So a quote from Mother Teresa: It's not what you do, but how much love you put into it that matters makes so much sense.

No matter how flawed I may think I am, or how undesirable my situation - in whatever season we may find ourselves in, I know that love will get us through. Yes, yes - it's another cliche, but it's true. If the housework doesn't get done, or I fail to complete a project or get accomplished everything I wanted to do today - that won't matter so much as if I fail to spend some time loving my husband, my children, my family, my friends, my brothers and sisters in Christ, and above all, my God.

Truly - it is the solution to all kinds of problems, from the little daily issues to the greater concerns of the world. If I'm over-worked, stressed, irritable - if I remember to love those around me - I'll feel a lot better, and they won't suffer the side effects of a terrible mood. When we show love to strangers, like the poor folks in Indonesia, by means of financial sacrifice - it helps solve the problems they're experiencing there.

So anyway, that's what's been on my mind ...along with that song.."It's all about love, love, love, love, love..."

No comments:

Post a Comment