Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Good Grief?

Does anyone know where that term came from? Is grief good? Tonight I don't think so.

Today I experienced the first termination of an employee. My employee. Her situation is not good. Personally, I wish I could help her, but I really don't know how. She's tight lipped and I don't know the whole picture. But I do know that she's at her wit's end and feeling the weight of the gravity of her situation. As an employer, I know her absences, inconsistencies and attitude that led up to this point where negatively affecting the team. And yet, my heart is heavy and I'm so very concerned for her.

I tried to encourage her and hugged her as I walked her out the door (you may be surprised by this, but I'm not naturally a hugging kind of person - the situation is rare when I do feel called to extend myself in that way). I wrote her name in the prayer book at chapel today. Not only for her and her situation, but for my own solace as I struggle with my feelings of helplessness. I've lost an employee today. I never expected to feel this grief.

If you're reading this, please send up a prayer for this young lady and her infant. Surely only God has the right solution for her, and only he'll be able to effectively comfort and heal her wounded life.

No comments:

Post a Comment