Sunday, January 08, 2012

My Resolution is You

"Life is like a ten-speed bicycle.  Most of us have gears we never use." - Charles Schulz

Have you made your resolutions?  Written down your lists?  Are you planning on losing weight? Or reading more?  Do you want to finally take that vacation?  Or step out in faith in a new career or area of ministry?

I think we all have this quiet fear that we will live our lives and never accomplish those things on our bucket lists.  Even if you don't have them written somewhere - you know what they are.  Maybe each New Year's you think about them.  Are they the same from year to year? Are you afraid you might not ever tap all the gears God has designed within you?

I have to admit, these fears do threaten to push me into a melancholy mood if I don't purposefully push back.  Fear is a bully.

I don't necessarily want to jump to top gear.  It's not about the destination, but the journey.  What I want to experience is the fullness that each gear has to offer.  To feel, see, hear, taste and savor life at gears that were tailor designed, created in me, to live out and to share with the world.

Like a buried treasure, or unopened gift on a shelf, it would be a terrible shame to let dust accumulate, and leave it forgotten, denying the joy and light that is waiting to emerge.

I'm starting this year so differently than past years.  I'm not obsessed with plans or aspirations for the year.  I don't know for sure if that qualifies as enlightened or just lazy.

I'd like to think I am finally entering a season of trust.  Resting in the assurance that I can find peace and fulfillment in God, leaning against my heavenly father in peaceful submission to His plans and purposes for my life and His timetable.

What do I want this year?  To be able to seek Him continuously and breath in his Presence.  No other thing or plan or accomplishment matters.  With eyes closed and mind focused on God alone, I have more clarity and find the stillness, greatness and beauty my soul longs for each day. Confident that when I open my eyes, I will see that His paths have been prepared and laid out before me.

How brilliant, how beautiful, how easy are your ways Lord.  Daily I will embrace them.  You. That is my resolution this year.



"I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you,” declares the LORD."  Jeremiah 29:10-14

No comments:

Post a Comment