Friday, August 27, 2004

Going for Gold

As the Olympics draw to a close, I find myself awed and inspired by the dedication and perseverance these athletes have demonstrated over many years. Often facing and overcoming great adversities, they strive to reach the ultimate level of competition in hopes of achieving gold in one shining moment.

Throughout these Olympics I've encouraged my daughter to be inspired by these games. Hoping, as all mothers do, that she too will dedicate herself fully to some positive dream and strive for greatness in her life, be it in sport, education or Christian service.

As I watch her imitate sprinters and gymnasts, swimmers and soccer players, ending each of her "routines" with her hands in the air and a smile on her face, I pray that God will grant me a perservering spirit to help her attain her God given purpose in life.

Perserverance. I've heard it described as a patient enduring. There are many lessons ahead, successes and failures, victories and heartaches to be endured as God proceeds with the glorious and often painful process of molding a young life. I resist when I feel the urge to control my tenacious toddler's every step. Her natural inclinations and curiosities are God's prodding. I consciously must be firm at times when I just want to give in to her persistent squeals and whines. Regardless of how many times before I've had to instruct her, I know God wants me to patiently and consistently guide her along a godly path.

As a mother of young children, most days are filled with several high and low points. Along with the most cherished and memorable moments we experience together, there are days when there are an equal amount of those I'd like to forget. But I aspire for the day when my heart of hearts reaches the top of her podium in life and shines her light for the whole world to see, in whichever "venue" she seeks to pursue.

"You are the light of the world - like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see...put it on a stand and let it shine for all to see, so that everyone will praise your Heavenly Father." Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment