Friday, October 15, 2004

Be nice to your pastors...

That should go without saying.. but unfortunately, that's often not what happens. A comment by Josue reminded me that too often our pastors, and their families, are on the receiving end of angry outbursts and unkind words:

This man had a huge outburst and didn't let the Holy Spirit to tame him. As he spoke, you could tell how the devil was taking control of him.
Let's not forget that our pastors ARE on our side, praying and ministering to help us maintain a close walk with God. Let's not forget that they are people too. Yes! Flesh and blood, imperfect people that have feelings. But they are some of the most devoted, self-sacrificing, giving, caring people you will ever meet.

Moreover, let's not forget that they are God's anointed. Even David, God's favorite, knew not to mess with God's anointed: He said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the Lord's anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the Lord's anointed.” (I Samuel 24:6)

I know when my husband became a minister, I saw him in a whole new light. Suddenly he had a presence about him that seemed larger than life. It's as if the Holy Spirit, God's presence in him, had increased. And it certainly made me more careful in how I spoke to him and treated him. Somehow I just felt God a bit closer, watching more carefully. It made me think of David's words.

By the way, it is clergy appreciation month. If you haven't lately, why not do something nice for your pastor. I know it'll just make his day.

No comments:

Post a Comment