Wednesday, March 16, 2005

When I am weak you are strong..

A while back I posted about a woman who was facing amputation. It's difficult enough helping and advising members of the congregation on tough issues like these. It even harder to be a strength and comfort to members of your own flesh and blood family when they go through these horrors.

The woman in my story was my aunt, my mothers sister. If you don't know, my mom passed away when I was 22, my grandmother when I was 27, and before my 30th birthday I stand next to another female family member providing comfort, advice and words of encouragement as she heads into a weekend of life-altering surgery. I don't know if any of us have the strength to get through this one too. So we rely on prayers, on God, in this new storm.

Here's another staggering statistic. My mother was one of 6 sisters. All but one have now been diagnosed with some form of cancer. I cannot bear to even type the fears that that realization stirs in me.

Psalm 59:9,17: O my Strength, I will watch for you..... For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress,the God who shows me steadfast love.

No comments:

Post a Comment