Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Wanted: Life Coach

So, here I am at 30, reviewing where I'm at so far. Have you ever thought back to the thoughts and imagination of how you thought your life would be at the age you are now? You know, the old high school senior class question: where do you want to be when you're 30? or 10 years from now? or 20?

Are you there? Looking back, at 18 I was overly confident, arrogant, ambitious...oh so ambitious. I'm sure my answer didn't include having a family. And I'm just as sure that my answer didn't have any religious or spiritual aspect to it - sad but true. I didn't really think in those terms. I'm sure my answer was much more materialistic and superficial, along with the visions of power and authority to satisfy my superego.

But even though I know that there are many things in my life and courses I've taken that I wouldn't want to change for anything, there are characteristics that young girl had that I wish I hadn't abandoned.

Like when did I become less-ambitious in my assuredness that things could and would get accomplished...be it in ministry, in career, in family etc etc. When did I start to settle? When did I become so accepting?

And, when did I lose confidence in how far I could go, and who I could be? When did I start looking to the future less and start getting caught up in the now? Not that the now is such a bad place to be, but sometimes when situations and circumstances aren't the best at this moment, it's good to remember that it's only part of the journey, and I haven't reached my destination.

Do you feel sometimes that you forget that you're even on a journey and there is a destination you had in mind when you started out in life? Even if it's changed, as in you stopped, recharted your course and set out for a new destination, are you still headed somewhere or have you gotten turned around by the many detours of life and feel a little lost?

I feel that way sometimes. A little lost. Like I've lost my big picture. A little absent minded - like what was I just doing? where was I going?

That's when I wish I had a life coach. You know, someone to blow a whistle just at those moments, pull me to the sidelines and go over the facts with me.

You're not dribbling. Defense! Defense! Watch your form! Put your hands up! Time out!

Someone with some objectivity to just observe the lay of the land, watch to make sure I'm still on course, or to just call me out when it appears that I'm floundering or point out that I may want to consider a different course or destination.

It's what's intended in Titus 2 isn't it?: ... the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things-- that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands .... sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned....

And isn't that why God gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit? Romans 5:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

He encourages us to find life coaches, to be life coaches to others, and to allow Him to coach us in life, so that we may reach our destinations, which ultimately regardless of what career, financial or family goals we have, is ultimately really Him? Unless our journey is filled with God, our ultimate life coach, well we're just walking, or likely running exhausted and in circles ,and getting no where anyway.

I hope you have a mentor, friend or family member who you trust and confidently believe they have your best interest at heart. But more importantly I hope the line between you and THE life coach is clear and constant.

Blessings all!

No comments:

Post a Comment