Thursday, January 12, 2006

No patience for patience

Someone once warned me, never ask God for patience. And I've always been careful not to. I am certainly someone who needs a bit more patience. I'm fully aware of it. I know a bit more patience would save me from much anxiety, stress, and random outbursts of frustration. But I never ask for patience.

But God knows what's best for me, and he's working it into my life. Case in point? My firstborn. Yes, indeed. My friends mom observed it not too long after she was born: "She's teaching you patience isn't she?", she asked or rather commented. Yes, she's known me since I was 7 - she also knows patience isn't one of my strongest virtues.

And all this to do, and this and that, that's going on in our lives right now? Yeah, more patience building. "Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience." James 1:2,3 I know I need to face it more joyfully (difficult you say? Absolutely). I know it will only make me a stronger, better person, mother and wife.

Impatience is a detriment- complaining, bouts of bitterness, grumbling do nothing to ease the trials we face. "We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.: Romans 8:28 "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer" Romans 12:12

Loving God, praising him, continuously seeking him in prayer will make a down and difficult time into a fruitful period, one that glorifies God. And in doing so, the scripture tells us, all things will work together for our own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment