Thursday, February 01, 2007

Self-Control & Discipline

Self-control and discipline are two things I am in short supply of. My short temper, my impatience, my weight, the sharp tongue; yes, it's very evident that self-control is a virtue I am not even close to mastering- much to my shame. How can I be useful to myself, my kids, my husband, my church, my community - to GOD, need I say more, if I don't have self control?

Proverbs 25:28 says it perfectly: "He who has no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down and without walls."

It was one of those days. The kind of day where I didn't react rationally or wisely. The kind of day I wish there were a rewind button and I could undue, start over and get it right. Make better choices and listen to that voice that tells me to reign it in.

I'm ashamed to say that I saw it in my mind's eye like a flashing light - self-control, self-control - but I ignored it. But there may be hope for me yet. That sign - it was the first time I saw it. The sign that in the past I wish were there to warn me when I was entering that frustrated and unfruitful area.

I could just feel guilty, cause I do. But what will that gain me? Instead I'll remind myself that this bad habit can be broken. Instead I'll think on Proverbs 1:3 "Receive instruction in wise dealing and the discipline of wise thoughtfulness", and pray that I'm wise enough, and strong enough to exercise self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment