Saturday, December 19, 2009

Food

I know what you're thinking ...you're thinking I'm going to go into some extensive blog about the joys of holiday cookies, roasts, lasagnas...all that stuff I usually gush over this time of the year.

Not going to happen. This next week there will be some of that, its inevitable - for now. But I've had a bit of a revelation, if you will. As with all new things, I wasn't sure if it was going to stick. But it's been nearly 2 months - and it takes at least 21 days to change old habits, I think it's safe to share.

Reflecting on this past year - it's been a roller coaster. Health issues that were a domino effect of underlying problems - my physicians and I had to get through each side effect, before we could get to the root.

Well the root was no surprise - diabetes.

So diabetes is very prevalent in my family, and therefore my DNA. After 3 kids, gestational diabetes, and struggling with being overweight my entire adult life - it was only a matter of time.
And that's the saddest part, I think. I passively just waited for it to come. I thought I'd have until my 40's or 50's. So I was irrationally shocked when my body started going haywire this year. Too early. Way too early.

In October I received my diagnosis - after 10 months of - well a time I'd sooner leave behind me. And something went off in me. For the first time I couldn't accept this "fate" and I decided I had to do everything that I could to change - and trust in God for the rest.

So I logged onto sparkpeople.com and ran into some lovely people that introduced me to Eat to Live, and a journey of learning and changing began.

I heard about the Raw for 30 days documentary , and heard from doctors like this. And decided that I needed to eat a more vegetarian or even vegan diet.

I know this all sounds radical, and it is - I've been living it. But I decided that I have to at least try, right? So since early November, that's how I've been living. I may have a few ounces of the taboo foods here and there - my family still eats it, but I'd say 98% of the time, I'm on plan, feeling better each day and losing weight without feeling hungry or deprived! That alone would be worth it!

Oh but then I see this documentary,Food, Inc. that people are talking about - and OMW. It's not enough that I've taken on changing MY OWN habits, I have to make these changes for my kids too. What we called food 10-15 years ago, is not what is on the shelves now. So if I thought that I ate some questionable things as a kid - well I can't begin to say what we are feeding our children.

So this week, instead of buying the aisles and aisles of overindulgent, unhealthy, food that I would normally flock to in the name of the holidays each year. I'm learning what I need to do to get healthier, organic, nutrient-dense foods into my diet and my family's diet. So that history doesn't repeat itself, and to give the DNA I passed on to them, a fighting chance.

Happy holidays indeed.

It's definitely not going to be easy - but definitely worth it. So, if any of you know any sites or cookbooks or anything that would help to transition a family eating a very traditional American diet to a more wholesome plant based diet - please share, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment