Monday, October 18, 2004

A good steward

Daily I remind myself that my two precious girls are not wholly mine. Rather they have been entrusted to me by the Lord. And in doing so, I remind myself to handle them a bit more carefully, spreak to them a bit more gracefully, and discipline them with a lot of love.

Since staying home to care for my girls, I am much happier knowing every detail of their day and caring for all of their needs. But as I was reading the parable of the talents, I am reminded that God has trusted me to do much more than that.

Remembering that God has put these girls into my care, makes me want to shield them and protect them. Like the servant who wanted to hide the talents his master gave to his care, I sometimes am tempted to hide my girls away from the rest of the world. I want him to find them as perfect and safe as the day he gave them over to me.

However, that's not what the master wants of me. The day he returns for them, he wants to see the interest (v27). God has not just trusted me to watch over his darling girls, he wants me to see that their lives are producing fruit. My responsibility is to make sure that their God-given talents are working for his good.

Preparing them to be a light to this world and to be faithful servants to the God that created them - well that's a bit more challenging. But since the day they were born, its been my hope, it's been the vision I see in my mind's eye that they would grow to be women that embodied God's love, light and grace.

Karol Ladd said it best when she said, " mothers have opportunities built in to their daily tasks to encourage potential and inspire hope." Like a piece of clay, God has blessed each mother and father with the opportunity to mold a brand new child into a great influence in the world. And also the opportunity to hear these words from him: ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ (v 23).

Prayer: I praise you God for you are good and your blessings are immeasurable. God thank you for trusting me with these two special gems. Lord I pray for wisdom in parenting each and every day. Help me to see the strengths and talents you have given them. Help me to inspire and encourage them each day, in words and action, to be the women that you intended them to be - so that their lives may produce much fruit for your glory. In your name I pray, amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment