Monday, March 28, 2005

Life as a Sponge

Psalm 51:10-12

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit in me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Little babies, from the moment they are born, absorb each element of life that surrounds them like a sponge. Each sound, song, smell, touch, hug, and vision influences their tiny lives. Like little recorders, their innocent minds take in each bit of information, attitude, word and intonation that surrounds them.

Flash forward a few decades and you'll find we don't change, except the fact that a sponge can only hold so much before it starts leaking. We can only sustain so much info in the forefront of our minds, and we forget some, but often we become overwhelmed, or waterlogged, if you will by the negative elements of this world.

And with those influences, it's inevitable that we become discouraged, frustrated and overall, more imperfect each day. Sullied and dull, we look to God for a renewal, a cleansing, new life like a fresh breeze across our hearts and minds clearing the confusion and clouds, hoping in the process that He still hopes for us.

Thank you God for your unfailing love. Forgive me my unclean heart. Wash me. Renew in me a right spirit. In you I trust, O God, my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment